European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Policy and Partnerships
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
To help the Bank access intra-EU funding to promote transition in its EU Countries of Operations through investment and policy engagement, with a focus on the new InvestEU programme as well the Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF), Just Transition Funds (JTF), the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF), the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) and other existing or emerging EU instruments. The incumbent will also help with EU donor compliance issues within DCF and ensure appropriate processes are in place in the Bank, working in cooperation with a range of departments.
The incumbent will work with a small DCF team, and together with a large cross-bank effort, workon the implementation of the InvestEU programme and other intra-EU programmes The success of the incumbent will be measured by: (i) the successful deployment of the financial and advisory products under InvestEU, in line with the Bank’s corporate scorecard and relevant country strategies, (ii) the extent to which EBRD is successful in accessing the other intra-EU funding instruments available to EBRD, and (iii) the establishment of an improved internal control system for EU funds.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The Associate Director / Senior Banker will be the DCF lead person on InvestEU, and will lead a small team of DCF colleagues that focus on accessing and managing other intra-EU donor funding. In addition, the Associate Director / Senior Banker will help to co-ordinate EU donor compliance issues within DCF and ensure appropriate processes are in place in the Bank.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Take overall “ownership” of InvestEU in DCF and be accountable for overall delivery, partnering with key delivery teams across the Bank.
- Lead the DCF’s contributions and advocacy on InvestEU guiding documents such as investment guidelines, guarantee agreement, risk management framework, approval templates etc., partnering with colleagues across the Bank.
- Together with relevant Banking teams negotiate fiches for InvestEU financial and advisory products.
- Lead the operationalisation of InvestEU internally in line with RiskCom Guidelines, including the preparation of an InvestEU operations manual.
- Advise Banking teams in the start-up phase of using InvestEU guarantees.
- Represent the Bank in the InvestEU investment committees, together with colleagues as appropriate.
- Manage a team of DCF colleagues that focus on the other EU instruments that support EU-focussed investments, including the Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF), Just Transition Funds (JTF), European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF), the Technical Support Instrument, and the Connecting Europe Facility. Ensure the Bank has access to appropriate guidelines and processes for the use of such instruments.
- Co-ordinate EU donor compliance issues within DCF, working in close coordination with other EU-facing DCF colleagues. Ensure that EBRD’s internal systems and processes are fit for purpose to ensure compliance with existing and new EU donor obligations across a range of EU-supported programmes; working with key corporate services (OGC, Risk, Financial Control, etc.) to design appropriate processes, systems and documentation for designing and implementing EU funded projects.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Master’s degree in business, economics, law and/or equivalent professional qualifications (CFA etc.).
- Good knowledge of the functioning of the European Institutions and EU regulations relevant to InvestEU
- Strong networking, partnering and diplomatic skills to work with both the European Commission and teams across the Bank.
- Good knowledge about the EBRD, its business model and processes.
- Experience of EU processes, and knowledge of EU donor requirements
- Management experience
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.