UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
UNESCO in Brasília
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Brasilia
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Non Staff (Service Contract)
Level : Level 4
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 10-FEB-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in Brazil may apply to this position
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall delegated authority of the Director/Head of the Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer or his/her delegated authority, the Associate Administrative Officer is responsible for providing a range of administrative management support activities to the UNESCO Brasilia Office in compliance with UNESCO Rules and Regulations, practices, standards and procedures. He/She supports the administrative units on financial, budget, administration, human resources management, premises-related and security matters withing the Office.
- Provide support on all administration, budget, financial and human resources matters;
- Ensure compliance with UNESCO policies, rules, regulations and procedures in terms of budget, contracts, finance and human resources;
- Provide regular and ad hoc budget, contracts, finance and human resources information to supervisors, managers or the designate to support informed decision-making;
- Assist and contribute, as functional team member, in the business processes analisys to streamline processes and procedures including in system development blueprints.
- Provide advice and assistance with the procurement actions undertaken by the Office in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Support procuring units on the prepara tion of terms of reference and technical specifications, evaluation criteria, etc;
- Ensure the correctness, completeness and accuracy of contracts and other documentation required in support of the procurement action, in line with approved guidelines and policy;
- Support and monitor bidding processes and responses to technical inquiries from prospective contractors;
- Follow up on the outcomes of procurement actions under his/her charge, bringing any challenges identified to the attention of the supervisor and proposing potential solutions.
- Monitor and ensure compliance of travel requirements and procedures, including the preparation of travel plans, travel requests, travel claims, the payment of daily subsistence allowance, and other related actions in support of official travel to be undertaken by personnel;
- Prepare travel related reports and ensure accuracy of data, including, but not limited to, the application of and reporting on the carbon tax;
- Provide guidance and training in procurement and travel procedures.
- Act as Certifying Officer up to the authorized level delegated by the CFO;
- Ensure the Office’s financial resourses and expenditures are fully and properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning;
- In line with the Organization’s policies and procedures, perform proper accounting procedures and systems – payments and disbursement of funds, replenishments, petty cash, segregation of duties and internal controls;
- Compile information from various sources to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics to support decision-making;
- Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisors, initiate and follow up corrective actions.
- Monitor the budget execution of Regular Budget and extra-budgetary resources in close collaboration with the supervisors: administer day to day budgetary issues within the Sector/Bureau, ensure the appropriate budgetary control, validate and process requests made to BFM for allotments and funds transfers, and provide relevant information requested;
- Ensure that the Office budget data is adequately and timely entered in the appropriate management systems, and that budgetary transactions are in compliance with regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
- Assist the AO and supervisors on staff/personnel related matters in close collaboration with HRM; such as processing of personnel actions, extension of appointments and contracts, recruitment, udpating of Job Descriptions and Terms of Reference to reflect the actual responsibilities of staff/personnel, installation of international staff, leave records, entitlements, performance management – in accordance with UNESCO Rules and Regulations.
- Provide guidance and training to personnel and other stakeholders on areas relevant to the work of the Administrative Unit.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- University degree in the fields of administration, finance, accounting and/or procurement .
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience in administration, procurement, finance or related area;
- Experience working with an Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP).
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; strong service orientation and ability to deal efficiently with partners at different levels;
- Good organizational and coordination skills, ability to take initiatives, establish priorities and monitor own work plans;
- Discretion, good sense of judgement and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds;
- Sense of integrity and confidentiality;
- Ability to work as part of a team, and provide efficient, quality and timely support and capacity to work efficiently under pressure;
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities;
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc).
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Post-graduation course (Lato Sensu or Stricto Sensu) , specialized training or courses in one or more of the following disciplines: administration, finance, accounting and/or procurement;
- CIPS training – Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply.
- Relevant experience within the United Nations System;
- Experience working with International Organizations.
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UN rules and practices, procedures, protocols;
- Knowledge of SAP or similar ERP system.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (French or Spanish).
This assignment is of full-time nature (Monday to Thursday: 8h30 to 12h30 / 14h to 18h; Friday: 8h30 to 14h).
The initial contract is intended for 1 year and shall be linked to a project-funding source, which is expected to be renewed. Any contract renewal shall be dependent upon budgetary availability and satisfactory services. Further information regarding contractual modality as well as the applicable benefits package will be provided for short-listed candidates only.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.