European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Office of the Chief Economist
Purpose of Job
The Office of the Chief Economist (“OCE”) consists of a team of around 15 economists, economic analysts, and support staff. It contributes to the operational, policy and strategy work of the Bank and provides intellectual leadership on the development of well-functioning market economies in the EBRD’s regions of operation. In addition, OCE undertakes economic research, and publishes the EBRD’s Transition Report and other research-based papers and reports. OCE also supports the Bank’s operations by monitoring macroeconomic developments and risks.
The Research Analyst, Economics in the OCE reports to the Director of Research. They contribute to the preparation of specific research products, under the supervision of one or more economists, such as the annual Transition Report, working papers, and special OCE publications. They may also provide assistance with the implementation and data analysis related to large-scale surveys (such as BEEPS and LiTS) and randomized controlled trials (RCTs).
This role will be offered as a two year fixed term contract.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Provide statistical and programming assistance related to working papers and/or one or more of the key surveys of OCE
- Assist with the design and implementation of randomised controlled trials under the guidance and supervision of Research Pillar economist(s)
- Contribute to the generation of key products of the pillar, for example chapters in the Transition Report or working papers
- Performing ad hoc assignments, including literature reviews on specific topics, statistical analysis, and fielding data requests and inquires for the BEEPS, BEPS, and LiTS surveys.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Economics or Finance
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including a strong knowledge of Stata, R, and/or Python
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience in managng large micro-level datasets is an advantage
- Knowledge of one or more languages of the region is an advantage.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.