European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Policy and Partnerships
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Analyst, Climate Adaptation and Resilience (AN-CAR), supports the implementation of the strategy of the EBRD in the area of climate resilience/adaptation. She/he takes active part in the execution of all related deliverable and support the Lead Climate Adaptation and Resilience coordinate CSD delivery in this important area of work in relation to policy dialogue and capacity building activities, as well as business delivery.
In coordination with all relevant policy and business functions in CSD, the AN-CAR works with sector teams in Banking to scale-up adaption finance and enhance climate resilience of projects and clients’ operations, including the alignment of EBRD financing operations with the adaptation goals of the Paris Agreement. The AN-CAR works closely with other CSD units and Bank teams including ESD and Risk on: (1) methodologies, tools and other activities for screening and assessing physical climate risks at the project/client level and enhancing the capacity of clients to assess and manage such risks; (2) the attribution and tracking of adaptation finance in EBRD financing operations; (3) the estimation and reporting of project-level climate resilience results and outcomes. In addition, the AN-CAR supports the Lead Climate Adaptation and Resilience in the interactions with external partners and initiatives in the area of climate resilience and adaptation finance.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide technical and analytical inputs to support the implementation of the strategy of the EBRD in the area of climate resilience/adaptation.
- Support the development and application of methodologies and approaches to assess climate adaptation investments, climate risk assessment and to deliver the necessary capacity building.
- Research, develop and apply climate resilience analytics, metrics and indicators to projects and policy activities.
- Contribute to the development and application of Paris alignment methodologies in the area of climate resilience.
- Support the design and execution of policy dialogue engagements to promote adaptation and resilience reforms at a client and country level.
- Work alongside colleagues in CSD, Environmental and Sustainability Department and Risk Management on the further development and application of tools and approaches to identify, assess and manage physical climate risks at the project/client level, across EBRD investment operations and policy activities.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Main qualifications, experience and skills
- Master’s degree (preferably) in climate science, engineering, economics, risk management, energy, environmental and/or relevant experience applicable to climate resilience and adaptation.
- At least 1 year experience in supporting climate/green investments with exposure on adaptation finance and climate resilience approaches and methodologies.
- Good understanding of climate change science and the approaches, methodologies, tools to assess physical climate risks and the implications of climate change in terms of economic and social impacts.
- Good understanding of methodologies for risk analysis.
- Excellent computer literacy, with understanding of modelling, data management and processing.
- Familiarity with geospatial data and GIS programmes (e.g. ArcGIS).
- Understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, climate resilience, infrastructure development.
- Understanding of business and finance principles.
- Experience in emerging markets and developing countries would be advantageous.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in English and preferably in another language of the Bank (French, Russian or Arabic).
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Influencing, negotiation and relationship building skills, with both internal and external partners.
- Result-oriented, self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Familiarity with role and requirements of EBRD and/or other international financing institutions and/or development agencies.
- Relationship management skills: experience in engaging with diverse stakeholders for project preparation or implementation tasks, consulting and advisory and/or policy development.
- Experience and familiarity in working within multicultural projects and teams.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.