European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Analyst contributes to all phases of the project cycle, including project origination, structuring, execution, implementation and monitoring.
The Analyst will take responsibility for the tasks assigned to him/her by the operation leader or more senior members of the project team, or more senior bankers, which may include undertaking comprehensive due diligence, including financial, market, integrity and EBRD policy compliance, conducting financial analysis and financial modelling on advanced level, as well as effective post-signing implementation and monitoring.
The Analyst carries out these tasks as part of a project team under the guidance of the operation leader or under the supervision/guidance of more senior bankers.
The role is dedicated to the SME Finance & Development Group (the “Group”, with a focus on the Risk Sharing Framework (RSF). RSF is an instrument, where in cooperation with local Partner Financial Institutions (PFI), the EBRD shares part (usually 50 per cent) of the risk of a PFI on a funded basis (i.e. by providing the share of the loan amount to an end-borrower) or an unfunded basis (i.e. by guaranteeing a share of the end-borrower’s risk). The major task of the Analyst will be to work with local partner banks (“PBs”) and sub-borrowers in Moldova on a daily basis in order to facilitate the RSF and related sub-projects origination, delivery and implementation under the direct supervision of the RSF Regional Coordinator.
SME Finance & Development Group is responsible for delivering the Small Business Initiative (“SBI”), a Bank-wide strategic initiative dedicated to support and develop the institution’s SME business. In particular, the Group is responsible for the strategic consolidation and coordination of all the Bank’s activities in the SME sphere and provides the direction and framework necessary to create, lead, and coordinate the SBI, ensuring a more integrated and prioritised approach towards the SME sector.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the RSF Regional Coordinator or a more senior banker:
- Structuring and Execution
- Work as a project team member on transactions, contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including comprehensive research and analysis of background materials, market information and financial performance data; analyse and evaluate potential risks related to the proposed project, including analysis of financial statements, preparing and updating financial models and financial projections;
- As may be requested, assist with communication with other internal units of the Bank, clients and other stakeholders, at the operational level, such as preparing draft correspondence, presentations, and following up on internal emails;
- Ensure that all tasks assigned to the Analyst are completed within the specified time frames to a high quality and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
- Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
- As requested by the RSF Regional Coordinator, undertake assigned tasks relating to the implementation and monitoring of RSF projects to which the Analyst is assigned as part of the project team, including compliance with project agreements and Bank procedures related to disbursement, monitoring of progress of the project and financial performance of the client, assessing evolving risk factors and monitoring and assessing covenant compliance;
- As requested by the RSF Regional Coordinator or more senior member of the project team, prepare timely and comprehensive draft monitoring reports and include recommendations for corrective actions where required and ensure these corrective actions and recommendations are brought to the attention of more senior team members;
- As may be requested by, and under the supervision of, a Technical Cooperation (TC) operation leader, assist with the effective implementation and monitoring of TC assignments including communication with TC client, monitoring of TC fund usage, preparation and filing of relevant TC progress and completion reports to support the TC operation leader to meet donor reporting requirements and operational objectives.
- In close collaboration with the Advice for Small Business (ASB) unit work on identifying financing opportunities, supporting joint marketing events, screening for new leads, receiving and analysing leads to identify qualified SME candidates for further evaluation by senior bankers, etc.
The responsibilities of the Analyst are designed to allow the Analyst to progressively undertake more complex tasks and build the scope of responsibilities based on acquired experience and expertise.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA desirable.
- Quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret financial information and to design and use financial models.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, ability to build and analyse cash flow statements, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Advanced financial modelling skills and ability to build and review financial models are core qualification requirements for this position
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spread sheet packages including financial analysis and modelling modules.
- Good understanding of relevant systems and processes.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to deadlines and under time pressure.
- Fluent Russian and English languages (the local language is an advantage).
- Knowledge of the local business environment and financial sector will be an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Relevant financial industry experience from an investment or commercial bank, private equity firm, asset management firm, or auditing/financial consulting firm operating to international standards.
- Relevant industry experience is mandatory, including understanding of country/sector dynamics and trends in Moldova.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.