Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
SPC Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Micronesia Regional Office (MRO) situated in Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), is the main hub for SPC’s projects and partnerships with the Micronesian members of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), the Republic of Palau, and the United States territories of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), and Guam. The MRO opened in January 2006.
The role – the Administrative Assistant – FSM EDA within the EDA Programme Coordination Unit, will provide administrative and other support to the EDA Programme Coordinator and the Finance and Procurement Officer. He/she will ensure the efficient and effective delivery of activities in compliance with SPC corporate guidelines as well as donor requirements.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following: Provide support to the EDA Programme Coordinator and the Finance and Procurement Officer on financial management and procurement tasks
- Assist the EDA Programme Coordinator and Finance and Procurement Officer with financial monitoring of projects.
- Take responsibility for invoicing, receipting and payments for programme activities, project-related work and job orders, as required.
- Support programme procurement processes in accordance with SPC procedures and in alignment with GCF requirements.
- Provide admin support for procurement of any consultants, Facilitating Agents, and implementation of EDA programme activities.
- Raise purchase orders, acquire necessary quotations in accordance with relevant thresholds.
Provide general administrative support for the delivery of activities
- Support all information management requirements of the programme and its activities.
- Support the ECU to maintain a structured and clean SharePoint Document Library.
- Assist to input monitoring and evaluation data into databases.
- Draft agendas, take minutes and organize files for internal programme meetings.
- Ensure general equipment maintenance and cleanliness.
Provide logistical support for the delivery of meetings, conferences, technical support, training, and travel
- Arrange virtual meetings and events, as needed.
- Arrange travel logistics for project staff, consultants and/or event participants well in advance.
- Develop relationships with key travel agents to ensure good service delivery.
- Work collaboratively with project teams, participants and key stakeholders to plan workshops, training and other events.
- Obtain quotes for suitable venues, paying attention to disability-inclusiveness.
- Ensure event management and support to staff at event location as needed.
Assist with other programme activities where required
- Provide back-stopping and administrative support for financial and administrative matters in other programmes within SPC MRO and FSM NDA office, as required.
- Seek opportunities for collaboration with other administration and financial staff within SPC and the FSM NDA office to improve efficiency, effectiveness and complementarity of projects, programmes and other initiatives.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Tertiary qualification in finance, accounting, business or public administration.
- At least 3 years’ relevant work experience in a similar role with project administration and systems management.
- Demonstrated experience in conference management and event organisation, logistics and travel.
- Knowledge of accounting and procurement standards, practices, and procedures.
- Experience with organizing large, complex regional events including virtual/hybrid modalities.
- Experience in managing procurement, purchase orders, invoicing, payments, and other finance processes.
- Experience using Navision or similar finance software.
- Experience in airline ticketing, communicating with airline agents and searching for data / flights / travel information.
- Driver’s license.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- A proactive and positive team player able to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Administrative Assistant – FSM EDA is a Band 3 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a starting taxable salary range of USD 1,508–1,886 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Benefits – SPC provides medical and life insurance for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave. Provident Fund and/or Social Security will be according to FSM’s local legislation.
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Please note that applicants must be FSM Nationals currently residing in the country, or hold the proper work permit for salaried employment there.
Closing date: 22 January 2023 – 11:00 pm Pohnpei time
Job Reference: SH000241
Applicants must apply online at (link)
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference.
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
- What approaches would you take in your daily work to ensure you are well organised to address priorities on time?
- Could you please identify a stressful situation that you had to manage during your work and how you addressed it?
- Briefly describe your experience in travel and logistics management/administration for fieldwork or workshops, and identify three lessons learned.
Type: Contract – Local
Category: Administration & Office Support
Reference ID: SH000241
Date Posted: 20/12/2022